Wednesday, October 24, 2007

We're home...

and it's perfect (well, just like we left it) but there's no damage, it doesn't even really smell smoky. We feel so incredibly blessed and relieved, I can't even describe it.
Many, many people weren't so lucky and there's so much damage that it can't even really be documented yet. So many people can't go home, even if they have a home to go to.
And we didn't have much to evacuate. Just Mark and I, and Marlo's easy; she's happy anywhere. I think of the people who have three or four kids, and the elderly who may not have anybody. We saw a lot of dogs at our hotel. Much of the evacuation was rural, and people had to move their livestock to one of a couple different places in the county, if they had the time.
A home is home, no matter what it's worth, or whether or not you can afford to rebuild. I really realized that when I saw a box of VHS home videos in the backseat of a car in the parking lot of our hotel.

Here's some photos from our drive home today of the fire at Camp Pendelton. Some of it may be a controlled burn, but it looked pretty scary to me. I just heard on the news that it is 50% contained.





2 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

we are so happy that you are home safe! this has been so crazy and the pictures...WOW! you are very blessed!! thanks for posting....

10/25/2007 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing I am surprise they let you that close.

10/25/2007 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home