Monday, May 09, 2011

I'm trying to change the world, one jerk at a time

I was leaving Costco today with all three kids (always an adventure in itself) and I was waiting to pull out of the parking lot as a truck was turning in.

Just as I was thinking, "He's cutting that corner really close", he leaned out his window and yelled at me, "Learn how to f-ing drive!"

I would have just let it go, but Marlo said, "That man said something really mean, huh mom?" It really bugged me that my kids heard him and I wanted him to think about that.

I saw where he'd parked outside a pool supply place and I drove around awhile waiting for him to come out. Eventually I parked next to him and just as I was finishing a note to leave on his car, he came out.

I said, "I don't know what I did, but whatever it is it gives you no reason to talk to me like that."

He said, "If you weren't such a stupid driver, pulling out in the middle of the road!" and flailed his arms all around.

As he got into his car I asked if how he'd feel if someone used that language with his wife or his mother.

He said, "If she was driving as stupid as you, I wouldn't be surprised."

I couldn't believe that after his time in the pool store he hadn't cooled down enough. He was even wearing a cheesy tank top that should have kept him at a nice even temperature. And he saw my minivan with my three kids in the car and still continued to talk to me like that.

He left me no choice.

I reached into the van, got out one of the 2 dozen organic eggs I'd just purchased from Costco and walked behind my car so the kids couldn't see. I stood his path as he pulled out of the lot and threw it right of top of his truck.

I'm pretty sure he's not a changed man. But I felt a hell of a lot better.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you make me so proud.
~mendez

5/10/2011 9:25 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I love this Erin....I can't believe you had the guts to do that! I had the same thing happen to me when I lived in Orange County and I left a note on the guys car. It was long and mean and it made me feel a lot better. Luckily he didn't come out when I was in the middle of leaving it. You are so brave!

5/10/2011 1:14 PM  
Blogger patrice stanford said...

Erin.....I love you even more after reading this. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

5/10/2011 3:19 PM  
Blogger amynjosh said...

AWESOME!!! Well done!

5/10/2011 3:35 PM  
Blogger Keely said...

You crack me up. That's hilarious! Good for you!

5/10/2011 7:20 PM  
Blogger {The Christian's} said...

You are so brave...that is awesome!!

5/11/2011 1:19 PM  
Blogger Auntie Di said...

WELL...that certainly sounds like something Amy Rose might do:)..but if it was ME...more than one egg would have went flying...may be old, but still have a good arm!! You do know the story of UB tying a shopping cart to a jerk's car??!! Passenger side..so guy did not see it!!

5/11/2011 7:29 PM  
Anonymous Kelly said...

I LOVE you more than you know!!!

5/14/2011 8:47 AM  
Blogger Amy D. said...

I'm rolling....

5/20/2011 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home