Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The good news...the bad news...the good news....

We are expecting twin boys! They are due on August 5th. We've known about it from the get go but we've been concerned with making sure they're okay before we made a big announcement. I've been having ultrasounds every two weeks because they are at risk for twin to twin transfusion syndrome.
We just had our 18 week ultrasound on Thursday where they looked at everything in detail and the boys looked fine. All their organs are great and they are measuring right on target. However, my doctor discovered that my cervix was thinning. Thinning leads to opening leads to preterm labor. So she sent me straight to the hospital for a cerclage, a procedure in which they stitch the cervix closed.
So I had that done on Friday and it went just fine without any complications at all. I am on medication to stop contractions and they're going to wean me off of those by Friday. I am not having many contractions at all and the meds are at a tolerable level (they hit me like a truck at first). I should be able to go home on Saturday or Sunday where I'll be on bedrest for at least a week.
Thankfully Mark's mom has been here taking care of Marlo. It is so hard not being with her all day, but she's having the time of her life with her grandma.
So I'm stuck in the hospital and I'll probably be stuck on bedrest after that. You all know I'm already going stir crazy. But things could be A LOT worse. Thank goodness I was being checked regularly and that my amazing doctor caught the problem when she did. I could have just gone into early labor and there isn't much that can be done once that happens.
SO here I am with two baby boys still cookin' in my belly and I'm very grateful for that. Oh and p.s. they're almost positive that they're identical.

14 Comments:

Blogger patrice stanford said...

Congrats!!!! I am so excited. I have a friend that had to have a cerclage with each of her children...everything went great! You're a trooper and we love you. Hang in there, girl.

3/10/2009 6:59 PM  
Blogger amynjosh said...

I'm so happy for you guys! I've been waiting for this announcement forever so EVERYONE can share in the joy and miracle of it all! I can't wait to see you guys (in less than a month) and rub your feet :) Thank you Mary for being such an awesome person and taking care of those so dear to me!

3/10/2009 8:33 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

I'm so excited for you and your family! Marlo will be such a good big sister. We're hoping to take a trip out your way this fall so hopefully we'll be able to see you guys. Take care!

3/10/2009 10:05 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

What a blessing, congratulations Erin! i don't know you very well, in fact i think i've only seen you once or twice, but i feel so excited for you especially with all you've been through!

Take Care!!!

3/11/2009 4:01 PM  
Blogger amy said...

I didn't know you were in the hospital!! Im so glad everything is ok and being taken care of! i kinda figured you were going to have to be on bed rest! oh boy...keeping you down is going to be hard!! Like you said, it could be worse!! a lot worse!!
well you can call me anytime to chat! I would love it...
and i cant wait to see those baby boys! identical, wouldn't that be fun!!!
*thank goodness for Mary :) love her!!

3/11/2009 4:06 PM  
Blogger sarah marie. said...

i'm so excited for you!

3/11/2009 4:13 PM  
Blogger Kell & Nick said...

Erin!
Wow Wee!
Identical Twins!
That should be fun! :)
I hope you aren't too bored!
Thank goodness for computers!!!

Hang in there and Congrats!
Kell~

3/11/2009 11:22 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

love those little guys so much already!!!

love you too!

3/12/2009 1:15 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Oh My goodness!!! I am so excited for you!!! What a blessing and so glad your doctor caught the pre labor on time. Twin boys!!!! This is amazing! Congrats to you guys!

3/12/2009 3:31 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Erin, we had no idea, we are so very happy for you guys. You are going to have so much fun with twin boys and Marlo will be a very helpful big sister. Congrats to you and Mark!

3/13/2009 2:03 PM  
Blogger Adam Harward said...

Can't wait for all these boys to be causing trouble together....

3/13/2009 9:16 PM  
Blogger Dana G said...

I am so happy for you guys!!! Double everything! Wish we lived closer! I told Tyler I'd come to SD with him sometime this summer on a golf trip if he has one scheduled--hope so.

3/14/2009 1:23 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you. Good Luck! Thank heavens for good doctors.

3/17/2009 5:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Squee! I am SO excited for you...twin boys...and "almost" identical ones at that. What joy and bliss. Congrats Erin. We will keep your little family in our prayers.

3/24/2009 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home