Sunday, September 07, 2008

Happy Grandparents Day

Janet Rose Tarner (Granny)



Helen Golich (Gramma)



I have been blessed with wonderful grandparents. My grandma Helen just turned 86 yesterday and there's no stopping her. My brother, sister and I are her only grandchildren, so needless to say, we've been spoiled. She thinks we're brilliant and if you've met her, I'm sure she's told you just that.

I really miss my mom's parents, my Granny and Pa, who passed when I was barely a teenager. I have so many great memories with them. We went to the coast a lot to see whales and seals. So many camping trips...Granny could get squirrels and chipmunks to eat from her hand. My Pa taught me to fish and how to play all kinds of card games. I think of him every time I do a puzzle and I've taught Marlo to do the outside edges first, just as he taught me. I remember his laugh and how he smelled (Old Spice), and the rough Pendelton shirts he always wore.

My Granny was the most amazing baker...my sister has her cookie jar. I always think of her when I'm the kitchen with my mom and Amy. Sometimes I feel like she's right there with me. She had a great phrase: "Lean over and meet your bites" when we were eating so we didn't spill in our laps. She would also playfully refuse to talk to me if my bangs were hanging in my eyes because "If I can't look at you, child, I can't talk to you". She smelled like Dove soap and White Shoulders perfume. Everything about her was soft; her voice, her hair, her skin.

My aunt Sharon told me that Granny's favorite boy name was Mark. Every boy she had, that's what Granny wanted her to name him. Isn't that funny?

And Happy Grandparents day to our parents, of course! Marlo and Griffin have the best grandmas and grandpas!

Some of my favorite memories are of our parents with their grandchildren. I remember Sabrina, just a baby, falling asleep on my mom at Amy's college graduation and the look on Mom's face was just pure content. Or Wally, walking into a room and just taking Estee from someone and walking out with her without saying a word. Mary doing high kicks to make Marlo laugh. And John waiting for her at the elevator at the airport, every time.


4 Comments:

Blogger Auntie Di said...

What a nice way to remember your grandparents...here I always thought "Rose" was your grandmother's name....Told gramma about it..said the car MUST be the green two-door chevy..told her b/w photo and it looked to 4-door..No..printed it out..

9/08/2008 6:36 PM  
Blogger amynjosh said...

Oh man! aren't grandparents the greatest people on earth? I miss granny and pa a lot. They were always so kind and gentle to us no matter what (they were also very sweet to each other).

9/08/2008 7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful stories. I love the way you write such a natural flow.

9/08/2008 10:05 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

The high kicks were supposed to be on the down low...

143

9/10/2008 1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home